Monday, August 22, 2011
Activity # 5 Balloon Pinata
Activity # 5: Make a Balloon Pinata
Pinatas are a Mexican tradition for celebrations. Melvin likes them because you can make them using a balloon. You can make a pinata in whatever shape or design you want. They are a great way to use your creative powers! But beware! This can be a messy craft and you need to do it over a couple of days to allow drying time. You also have to be careful when hitting the pinata that you don't hit anyone else!
3 cups of water
glue (white craft glue works well)
colored tissue paper
string or ribbon
Candies, light weight toys, erasers, treat surprises of your choice
paint brush (optional)
1. Blow up the balloon and tie the end.
2. Mix the flour and water together to make your paste
3. Rip the newspapers into long strips
4. Dip the newspaper strips into your paste and place it on the balloon. Cover the balloon with the strips leaving a hole at the tied end of the balloon.
5. Set the balloon aside to dry.
6. Place 2 more layers of newspapers over the first allowing time in between to dry.
7. When the final layer is dry, pop and remove the balloon.
8. Paint your paper balloon if desired.
9. Glue the strips of tissue paper onto the paper in the design of your choice. If you don't paint your paper balloon you can use a paint brush to cover it with glue and then attach the tissue paper to the glue. Fringes in the tissue paper help make your pinata look festive. You can also attach ribbons or other light objects to the pinata. Be creative!
10. Fill your pinata with wrapped candies, or light weight toys. Layer the candies with balled up strips of tissue or newspaper so the surprises don't all fall out at once.
11. Punch 2 holes on either side of your opening and attach the string through the holes. Or you can wrap the pinata in ribbon like a present, bringing the end of the strings up to the top, so you can hang the pinata.
12. Tie your pinata to a tree branch, clothesline, or hook, leaving lots of room to swing.
13. Take turns using a stick to hit the pinata. To make it harder, you can blindfold the person swinging the stick so they have find the pinata. Stay well away from the person swinging but guide them so they don't get hurt!